September 15, 2004

The Notebook

It was one of those lazy afternoons. I was chatting with a friend over the phone, when the topic shifted to movies. We quickly researched on the movies currently being shown in theaters, and among them, the movie that caught our attention the most was "the Notebook", so we decided to catch a late screening schedule of the film (late screening since travel time to the place where we agreed upon to watch the film was estimated to be between 2-3hours).

The movie is the third Nicholas Sparks novel to be filmed, after "Message in a Bottle" in 1999, and "A Walk to Remember" last 2002. If I’m not mistaken, "the Notebook" was actually written and published before "Message in a Bottle" and "A Walk to Remember" (First novel nga yata ni Sparks yung the Notebook?).

True enough to our estimate, my friend and I met at our rendezvous point three hours after we hung up the phone. By that time, the only available screening for us was the last full show, which was not set to start until after another hour or so. So, we decided to while away the time by walking, catching up some more on each other’s stories, and having dinner.

Now, on to the movie.

Actually, the movie was split into two storylines being told in parallel with each other, although it wouldn’t really take a rocket scientist to guess how these two stories are related. In the first storyline, there is an old lady (played by Gena Rowlands - "Taking Lives", "Hope Floats") who stays in a nursing home suffering from some sort of dementia. She is visited every day by an old man (James Garner - "Space Cowboys", "Maverick") who reads a story to her from a Notebook, which he carries (hence, the title). As he reads to her, we see ‘the story being told’ unfold on the screen as some sort of flashback (the ‘second’ storyline in this movie). The story he reads to her starts with a summer romance developed in the 1940’s between Allie, a rich girl (Rachel McAdams - "Mean Girls", "the Hot Chick") and Noah, a poor boy (Ryan Gosling - "Murder by Numbers", "Remember the Titans"). The movie then shifts back and forth between the two storylines mentioned.

In the 'present' storyline, we get to know more about the characters of the two main protagonists with each scene that features them. Although, for the role played by Rowlands, there is not much more room for character development in the beginning since it was already established that she had severe memory loss problems. This changes towards the latter part of the movie though, as she is able to recall back her lost memories. As for the role played by Garner, character development was done well throughout the film. The audience would be able to sympathize with and understand what he is going through by the time his role called for some emotional display.

In the 'flashback' storyline, the movie takes us on a journey to the love story between Noah and Allie. From the time they met, to the time they fell in love, and what happens after that. Of course, having been from very much different backgrounds, it was expected that their love for each other was going to encounter some severe tests along the way. If you’ve watched the trailer for this movie, then I am pretty sure that you already got the idea of what kind of trials were to be encountered by these two.

Incidentally, the movie was directed by Rowlands’ own son, Nick Cassavetes (who also directed the movie "John Q").

Overall, there were some parts of the movie that were predictable, but I’d still recommend this movie to those who love watching love stories. Just to give you a general idea, check out some of the mushiest quotes taken from the movie.

"My Dearest Allie. I couldn't sleep last night because I know it's over between us. I'm not bitter anymore, because I know what we had was real. And if in some distant place in the future we see each other in our new lives, I'll smile at you with joy and remember how we spent the summer beneath the trees, learning from each other and growing in love. The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds, and that's what you've given me. That's what I hope to give to you forever. I love you. I'll be seeing you. Noah"

"I'm nothing special. Of this I am sure. I'm a common man with common thoughts, and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough."

"So it's not gonna be easy. It's gonna be really hard. We're gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, you and me, every day. Will you do something for me, please? Just picture your life for me, 30 years from now, 40 years from now. What's it look like? If it's with him, go. Go! I lost you once. I think I can do it again. If I thought that's what you really wanted. But don't you take the easy way out."

"Summer romances begin for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common. They are shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, fleeting glimpse of eternity, and in a flash they're gone."

No comments: