August 12, 2004

I'm not a singer...

...As what I announced to officemates at our company’s Christmas Party three years ago (during our group’s award winning presentation, hehehe), and then reiterated several months ago to a wider (?) audience via this blogsite.

So, naturally, singing in public (with microphone and all) is really a big no-no for me. However, so long as I am amongst friends (as in lahat dapat ng makakarinig e friend), I would sometimes (sometimes lang) give in and belt out a song or two (of course this is also as long as everyone within earshot wouldn’t mind hearing someone singing off key, hehehe).

Last week was one of those instances where I found myself having to sing in front of friends. Actually, this was so because I somewhat felt that I had to make it up to a couple of them because I failed to attend a get-together that I sort of organized (grabe, sama ko ba? pero valid naman yung excuse ko nun, promise).

And so, ahem, on to my, er, song number.

Foremost of course, I had to pick a song. The first song that came to mind was Matchbox 20’s “Unwell”. Almost half a year ago, I sang this song in Makati when I was there together with some friends from Cebu. So I thought, this would only be a sort of a “repeat performance”. Plus, there would be no more need to look at the lyrics to be able to sing this, since I already have it memorized (hehehe yabang ba?).

However, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you see it) the said song was unavailable.

Well, how about “Bent”, still by Matchbox 20. This was actually the first song that I recorded for an “underground” album that I did with my teammates two years ago while we were doing some voice recordings that was to be used for our project’s presentation (All evidences already destroyed by the way, so don’t bother asking/looking for a copy, hehehe).

Sorry, that song was also not available.

OK, but since I was already imagining myself as Matchbox 20’s Rob Thomas jamming with the rest of the band (hehehe in my dreams), the next song I looked for was “Push”. About this song, I once requested this song to be performed by a band playing in Streetlife, and dedicated it to a friend who was about to go to Japan to undergo a seven-month training program. The dedication was somewhat fitting since the performing band was a favorite of hers (Actually, I think she only loved that band because of its vocalist who reminded her of the lead vocalist of The Calling - Alex Band. hehehe di ba?).

Also unavailable. Strike three! Batter out?

Still persistent on ruining a Matchbox 20 masterpiece, I was now looking for the song “If you’re gone”, and there it was. Finally, a Matchbox 20 song that was available. So I took on the microphone, cleared my throat, and mumbled my way through the song.

After singing, er mumbling i mean, I thought, “Gee, what a great repertoire Matchbox 20 has”. Imagine, a song as wonderful as “If you’re gone” was only the “fourth choice”. Let’s see, it’s probably comparable to having Hector ‘the Director’ Calma as the sixth man of my basketball team, or Eugene Torre on board four of my chess team, or Paeng Nepomuceno as an alternate player in my bowling team. Yes, the song was that good.

P.S.
A few months (or a few weeks lang ata, di ko na maalala, hehehe) after the “Push” request incident in Streetlife, I went back there and saw the same band performing. That time I requested for the song “Unwell”, but they said that they haven’t yet learned to play it (the song was still very new back then), but they will practice it for next time. Don’t know if they got around to perfecting the song though, haven’t seen them again up to now.

No comments: